I’m just curious why is an autism expert the last person you’d go to.Because experts are taught things like this:
- Autistic people are mind-blind and can’t understand emotions
- And need intense social skills training, or
- Don’t quite reach adulthood ever, or
- Should be steered into STEM majors, or
- Need intense ABA in order to make them look normal, or
- All think in pictures, or
- Any number of other stereotypes
- Many of them also do things like routinely prescribe anti-psychotics to autistic people
That’s pretty much dealbreaking in terms of trusting them. Among other reasons. Anyone else want to weigh in?
Yeah, I do.
You are a fucking idiot.
I have met autism experts. Who have not done even one of these things. Who are super helpful and supportive and good at adapting to circumstances and listening to the autistics and trusting them when they explain things.
So the blanket claim that “experts” are taught these things doesn’t appear to hold.
We get it. You personally had a bad experience, and you can’t accept that anything else ever in the entire world could be different from your experience. Which is fine as long as it’s just you, but when you present yourself as some sort of authority that people should come to for advice, then you are making it a problem for other people.
Telling autistics not to seek out competent experts who have suitable training and experience to offer them actual concrete help and advice is in the same category as anti-vax bullshit.