It really annoys me when I see everybody and their grandma obsess over Dirk and Jake as a couple. Yeah, it’s cool because there’s so much happening with them and hints are being dropped etc. but the fact that almost every person in the Homestuck fandom is flipping the fuck out and just being absolutely obnoxious with it is a little too much for me since I honestly don’t like JakexDirk. People seem to forget about the two other girls who seem to be just as crazy about Jake as Dirk is, Jane and Roxy, and also the girl that Jake has his eyes on, Aranea. I usually don’t have a problem with people talking about yaoi, I’m okay with the fact that people like that stuff, and I’m okay with homosexuality in general, but oh my god this is just too much.
Being okay with something “in general”, but only being okay with it as long as there is not even a single example “in specific”, is really a form of “not being okay with it”.
Seriously. This is the one non-het couple. Uncomfortably close to the one non-het couple ever in media not specifically targeted at LGBT audiences. I can name most of the others off the top of my head; there’s the hilariously bad stereotyped gay guy in 9 Chickweed Lane who had an affair with a girl for badly-explained reasons, I think there’s one in Glee… I think maybe Buffy had one… Uhm. Raffles and Bunny? And that’s got us back to the late 1800s.
People are excited about this because they have become aware of the subtle difference between the real world and fiction, which is that in the real world 5-10% of people are gay, and in fiction 0.0-0.5% of people are gay.
Try your post with other examples. “I don’t see why people are making a big deal about Jackie Robinson. I’m fine with blacks in general, but why aren’t they as excited about all the white baseball players?” “I don’t see why people are making a big deal about Barack Obama. I’m fine with blacks in general, but why aren’t they as excited about all the white presidential candidates?” “I don’t see why people made such a big deal about Sigourney Weaver’s character in Alien. I’m fine with women in general, but why aren’t they as excited about all the credible male leads?”
See the problem?
This is what they call “queer erasure” — trying to make it so it’s fine if the gays exist, as long as they don’t take up any valuable screen or story time that could have been devoted to het relationships. And that’s not fine.
The queer relationship gets a disproportionate amount of attention because it is the queer relationship. If queer relationships were as common in media as they are in the real world, they would not attract so much attention, positive or negative.
- acharmingdevil reblogged this from guccinort
- acharmingdevil likes this
- christa-dream likes this
- wherefishesdoodled likes this
- idontsharemyserkets likes this
- cruelminorchange reblogged this from guccinort
- cruelminorchange likes this
- nepetastuck likes this
- nepetastuck reblogged this from guccinort
- teteko likes this
- missnickles likes this
- korrasexway likes this
- shslmeido likes this
- guccinort reblogged this from guccinort and added:
- namibulous likes this
- missnickles reblogged this from guccinort
- parakarry likes this
- tallyhoo likes this
- mukuroni likes this
- askderpyfemtav reblogged this from guccinort
- nuetralinthiswar likes this
- yosyk reblogged this from guccinort
- gkmon reblogged this from guccinort and added:
- gkmon likes this
- heidimomtag likes this
- princessjanecrocker reblogged this from guccinort and added:
- dengarang likes this
- rawbroccoli likes this
- cameoappearance reblogged this from jumpingjacktrash
- castielsbuttwings reblogged this from snazzycookies
- vegacoyote reblogged this from guccinort and added:
- swirlingflight likes this
- eddyckeane likes this
- mispurr-brightside reblogged this from roachpatrol
- striderstag reblogged this from roachpatrol
- fabricated-philophobia likes this
- dirkinabox reblogged this from ikaritus
- clearlyafandomblog likes this
- shine-a-light-in-the-dark reblogged this from guccinort and added:
- cascylla likes this
- nekobooty likes this
- nanasekei likes this
- gregariousprotagonist likes this
- kheradihr likes this
- smarttalker likes this
- alwaysboth reblogged this from the-real-seebs
- the-real-seebs reblogged this from guccinort and added:
- every-day-im-bufflin reblogged this from jumpingjacktrash
- alaspooralice likes this
- afriendlyamphibian reblogged this from jumpingjacktrash